Monday, November 14, 2011

Getting Sick In College


Being sick in college is MUCH different than being sick in grade school. In grade school, your mom stays home to take care of you and get you whatever you need. You can go to your pediatrician to get checked out and then your mom goes to the pharmacy to get your medicine to make you feel better. Before you know it, you are all better and can go back to school.

College is a completely different story. You still go to class, dragging of course. Health services does not fit into your schedule, so you just do not go to get checked out. There is no medicine other than Tylenol and Emergen-C. Then your roommate gets sick and the cycle just keeps repeating itself.

I have been sick for three weeks and it just keeps getting worse. My asthma is starting to get affected. My roommate and I both have fevers and all of the same symptoms. It is not fun. I cannot get to health services because I have class and do not want to miss any more class. I continue to suffer. Now my mother wants to take me home and bring me to the doctor. I want to do that, but what about my "independence?" I need to learn to take care of myself, but sometimes you just need mother's help. Maybe I will go home. But until then, I will keep on trucking!

No comments:

Post a Comment